Archive for the ‘Entertaining’ Category
YRG Guacamole Dip
Compliments of Chef Jennifer Hill Booker
Yields 2-4 servings
3 ripe avocados
1/2 red onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 jalapeno or Serrano chili, minced
1/4 cilantro leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
1firm- ripe tomato, diced
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
A dash of freshly grated black pepper
- Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avocado from the peel, put in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado. Add the chopped onion, garlic, cilantro, lime, salt and pepper and mash some more. Chili peppers vary in their hotness.
- Start with a half of the chili peppers and gradually add more to your desired degree of hotness.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Serve immediately with tortilla or pita chips
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to slow down oxidation and discoloration of the YRG Guacamole Dip.
Photo credit: puregoodness com
Fore more great recipes, log onto http://www.basilmagazine.com/recipies/
Crumbs Bake Shop first opened its doors in March of 2003 on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The menu is an irresistible blend of comfort-oriented classics and elegant baked goods, but the specialty of the house is the Crumbs Signature size cupcakes!
With our more than 50 varieties baked fresh daily and a new cupcake of the week every Monday, each Crumbs Bake Shop is an oasis of wall to wall deliciousness.
And now you can enjoy your favorite Crumbs treats in the comfort of your own home – just like Mom used to bake.
Delivered straight to your front door, perfect for a cupcake party, or without needing any occasion at all.
Cupcakes delight both the eyes and the soul.
Made with the finest ingredients, they remind us that the best things in life are simple. We offer a selection in our Signature and Taste size cupcakes.
Signature cupcakes are ordered in increments of six. You can create your own individual six packs or choose a pre-selected assortment. Our Classic size and Taste size cupcakes are offered by the dozen in pre-selected favorite assortments.
Nothing says I love you like a Crumbs Cake. For your next celebration let us add some happiness with the homemade goodness in our special cakes. It’s easy to personalize and we’ll make it just like mom did. You can build it from the table up or let us help find the perfect cake for you.
From Red Velvet to Vanilla Cake and Chocolate and everything in between. We put a little love into every cake. That is why we’ve become a part of our friends celebrations everyday. Call your nearest Crumbs location for more information. Let’s celebrate.
For more information on Crumbs Bake shop, log onto: http://www.crumbs.com/
Each Ticket includes:
- Wine Tasting + sampling of gourmet “bites”
- 100% of all ticket sales and a portion of wines sales sold at the event will be divided among the charities of the winning teams.
- More VIP fun such as meet and greet with owner/vintner Kathryn Hall.
- Vote for your favorite dish in the People’s Choice category
How to Purchase Tickets – This event sold out last year. Reserve your tickets through our online store today. A confirmation will be sent by email. Tickets will be charged the week of the event.
Participating Chef Teams - Bounty Hunter Wine Bar & Smokin’ BBQ, Ca Momi, Carpe Diem, Culinary Mercenary, Cuvee, Feast, La Condesa, Market St. Helena, The Grill at Meadowood, Napa Valley Biscuits, Oenotri, Paula LeDuc Fine Catering
Professional Judges - Hiro Sone and Lissa Doumani – Terra; Chef Ken Frank - La Toque; Chef Brandon Sharp – Solbar
For more information go to: www.hallwines.com/cabernetcookoff
Questions? Contact Diem Doonan at 707.967.2673 or email@example.com
Sweet Corn & Mussel Chowder
Compliments of Celebrity Chef Jamie Oliver
2 rashers higher-welfare bacon, chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
1 fresh red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
4 ears sweet corn
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
900 ml organic vegetable or fish stock, hot
1 handful fresh, live mussels, from sustainable sources, ask your fishmonger, cleaned and drained
4 tablespoons single cream
1 small handful chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a splash of oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat.
- Add the bacon, onion, celery and chili and sweat down for 5 minutes, stirring, until soft but not browned.
- Peel the husk from the corn and slice off the kernels with a sharp knife.
- Add the sweet corn and potato to the saucepan, along with the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes, or until the potato is soft.
- Blitz very roughly with a hand blender (or cool slightly, then blend in batches in a food processor, returning the chowder to the saucepan).
- Add the mussels and cream, bring quickly to the boil and cook for a few minutes until the mussels have opened – discard any that remain closed. You can take the mussels out of their shells, if you like.
- Remove from the heat and season.
- Divide the chowder between bowls and serve sprinkled with the chopped parsley.
Blood Orange Panna Cotta
Compliments of Paulding & Company
Yield: 8 servings
8 blood oranges
1 cup sugar (divided)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs. sweet Vermouth
2 tsp. unflavored gelatin r (most likely not quite a packet!)
1 ½ cup whipping cream
2 1/4 cups buttermilk, chilled
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Neutral vegetable oil for the cups (if unmolding)
Prepare the oranges:
- Pare the zest from two oranges with a vegetable peeler.
- Blanch the zest strips in boiling water for two minutes.
- Drain, cool and cut into fine julienne and set aside.
- Peel the two oranges completely, and cut supreme.
- Juice the remaining six oranges.
- Combine zest, supreme, ¼ cup of the juice, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, and ¼ cup water in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened and sauce-like, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the Vermouth, and set aside.
The panna cotta:
- Put ¼ cup water in a small bowl, and sprinkle the gelatin on top.
- Place the blood orange juice (you should have around ¾ cup) in a small pan, and cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup sugar, stirring to dissolve it.
- Add the cream, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the gelatin, stirring it in off the heat until dissolved completely.
- Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Oil 8 panna cotta molds, custard cups, or, if you don’t want to unmold the dessert, use un-oiled wine or fancy dessert glasses.
- Divide the cooled panna cotta mix between the prepared molds, and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour, or overnight.
- To unmold, run a knife around the edge, then dip bottom of each mold in hot water for a second or two. Turn onto a plate. Garnish with the sauce.
A Healthier Heart
The latest research backs up claims that chocolate has cardiovascular benefits: In a 9-year Swedish study of more than 31,000 women, those who ate one or two servings of dark chocolate each week cut their risk for heart failure by as much as a third.
A similar study in Germany found that about a square of dark chocolate a day lowered blood pressure and reduced risk of heart attack and stroke by 39 percent. The flavonoids, antioxidant compounds found in the chocolate are credited with that increase the flexibility of veins and arteries. A chocolate bar has five times the flavonoids of an apple, just to put things in perspective.
How can you add dark chocolate to your diet plan without putting on weight? Because dark chocolate fills you up and keeps you satisfied! Researchers from the University of Copenhagen found that dark chocolate is far more filling, offering more of a feeling of satiety than bitter-sweet or milk chocolate. And dark chocolate lessens cravings for sweet, salty, and fatty foods. Who knew that indulging in a bit of healthy dark chocolate should not only make it easy for you to stick to portion control recommended for optimal health, but it should make it easier for you to stick to your diet.
UC San Diego researchers recently confirmed stress can make you fat. Stress causes many people to binge eat in order to reduce feelings of anxiety. Combine binge eating with cortisol (a chemical your body releases during times of stress) and you may find yourself buying a larger pair of pants.
Swiss scientists found that when very anxious people ate an ounce and a half of dark chocolate every day for two weeks, their stress hormone levels were significantly reduced and the metabolic effects of stress were partially mitigated. As it turns out, reaching for a square of dark chocolate instead of those greasy chips-is a lot less stressful on your body.
Have a bite of chocolate-it could make you smarter! Not only will having a bit of dark chocolate help your body ward off the effects of stress, but it’ll boost your brain power when you really need it. A University of Nottingham researcher found that drinking cocoa rich in flavanols boosts blood flow to key parts of the brain for 2 to 3 hours, which could improve performance and alertness in the short term. Additional researchers from Oxford University and Norway looked at chocolate’s long-term effects on the brain by studying the diets of more than 2,000 people over age 70. They found that those who consumed flavanol-rich chocolate, wine, or tea scored significantly higher on cognitive tests than those who didn’t.
In a small Italian study, participants who ate a candy bar’s worth of dark chocolate once a day for 15 days saw their potential for insulin resistance drop by nearly half. “Flavonoids increase nitric oxide production,” says lead researcher Claudio Ferri, M.D., a professor at the University of L’Aquila in Italy. “And that helps control insulin sensitivity.” But consult with your physician before you reach for that bar of dark chocolate!
London researchers recently tested chocolate flavanols’ sun-protecting prowess. After 3 months eating chocolate with high levels of flavanols, their study subjects’ skin took twice as long to develop that reddening effect that indicates the beginning of a burn.
Subjects who ate conventional low-flavanol chocolate didn’t get the same sun protection. Watch for brands boasting high levels of the healthy compounds to reduce your risk of sunburn this summer.
Several studies have found that chocolate quieted coughs almost as well as codeine, thanks to the theobromine it contains. Maria Belvisi, a professor of respiratory pharmacology at the National Heart and Lung Institute in London, says, “It had none of the negative side effects.” This chemical, responsible for chocolate’s feel-good effect, may suppress activity in a part of the brain called the vagus nerve. Keep an eye out for cough syrups made with cacao in a pharmacy near you.
Dark Chocolate Fondue
Recipe by Chef Jennifer Hill Booker
Yields: 8 servings
12 ounces good quality bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup brewed espresso
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
2 bananas, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
16 1-inch chunks fresh pineapple
8 large strawberries
16 pretzel rods
- Put chopped chocolate in the top pan of a double boiler. Place over hot, but not boiling water.
- Gently stir until almost melted. (Be careful not to get any water into the chocolate)
- Add cream, espresso, vanilla, and salt, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted and all ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer to a heated Fondue Pot and use a tea light candle or small can of Sterno to keep the chocolate warm.
- Use bamboo skewers or Fondue forks to pierce the fruit and marshmallows, dip them into the Dark Chocolate Fondue, and Enjoy!
The holidays can be stressful but you don’t have to let days of cooking get you down! Harry & David provides easy entertaining dishes that are ideal for gifts or to purchase for your own celebration!
From the hostess to your loved ones, to you own personal use, these dishes make the perfect meal guaranteed to lighten the load and pile on the flavor. Whether you choose the juicy Beef Tenderloin, the classic Oven Roasted Turkey or the creamy Pumpkin Pie, you won’t be disappointed with these easy entertaining options from Harry & David.
With a 75-year reputation for genuine farm-to-table freshness and unsurpassed artisanal quality, Harry & David is legendary for exclusive gifts. Through its stores, catalogs and website, Harry & David offers an affordable “best-of-class” experience as part of everyday life. Gifts from Harry & David, and its brands Cushman’s and Wolferman’s, are designed for festive occasions, entertaining and self enjoyment throughout the year.
- Fully cooked to a perfect medium rare, our beef tenderloin is completely trimmed, mesquite smoked and finished with a black pepper rub. A great entrée or appetizer, this versatile tenderloin will complement any meal year round. Simple and easy, just serve cold or at room temperature for the best flavor. Smoked to perfection, our beef tenderloin is always the hit of the party. Deliciously seasoned and a quality taste you won’t be able to get enough of. With classic and gourmet meat like this, next year it just wouldn’t be the holidays without it. So get ready to start a tradition. You’ll likely have more than enough to go around.
- Price: $149.95
- Details: 2 Mesquite Smoked Beef Tenderloins (1-1.25 lbs. each)
Harry & David. Happiness Delivered! For more Harry & David fine gourmet products, log onto: http://www.harryanddavid.com/h/home
The “Culinary Rock Star” is Scheduled to Offer His New Cookware Collection Through the Multimedia Retailer
Celebrity Chef and Restaurateur Guy Fieri is firing up his cooking skill for, yet another, broadcast audience as the “culinary rock star” is scheduled to make his QVC debut on Wednesday, October 10 at 5 PM (ET).
During this exciting show, Fieri will share his culinary vision with viewers through an electrifying appearance, complete with cooking demonstrations featuring his line of professional-quality Guy Fieri cookware. Fieri is also scheduled to appear during QVC’s popular cooking and dining program “In the Kitchen with David®,” hosted by Program Host David Venable, at 8 PM (ET).
Known for his fired-up approach to full-flavored food, Fieri combined function with his signature style to create Guy Fieri cookware. The high-performance assortment available through QVC includes various non-stick and hard anodized aluminum products with easy-care characteristics and specially designed handles. For a touch of individuality, the Decorated Skillets feature artwork from Fieri’s personal tattoo artist Joe Leonard. The Antimicrobial Cutting Boards and Stainless Steel Locking Tongs round out the assortment, which ranges in price from approximately $19.00 to $160.00.
“After dedicating many months to the development of my new cookware, I am stoked to now have the opportunity to share select pieces with QVC shoppers,” says Fieri. “My hope is to shake things up in the kitchen with every home cook in the country.”
Guy Fieri cookware will be available through QVC at 800.345.1515 or www.QVC.com starting October 10, while supplies last.
With Halloween just around the corner, why not give your guests something to howl about? We’ve found the perfect thing to spice up your Halloween party and have your guest talking for days after. It’s the Frightful Freeze Ice Trays!
Add a gnash of Transylvanian teeth to your next Bloody Mary with the fangtastic Frightful Freeze Ice Tray or chill your favorite drinks – cold to the bone with the Skull and Crossbones Ice Cube Tray.
Easy to use, just fill with water or fruit juice and put them in the freezer for a bit. Then, pop them out to create an icy array of terrifying refreshment chillers. Flexible and almost indestructible, these food-grade silicone ice trays are simply immortal…in that they can be used over and over again. For extra fun, try Jell-O!
These Frightful Freeze Ice Trays are sure to keep you guests in a ghoulish spirit! They are also great for any kids parties that you may be having… And at only $6.49 each, you can’t go wrong in treating yourself to this great little find, or give it as a gift to someone else as it’s the gift that keeps on giving as you can use it for years to come. For more information, please log onto: www.HomeWetBar.com.
We have two of these for the taking… If you would like to sample one of these neat ice trays, simply fill out this entry form for your chance to win.
Cucina Antica Chef/Owner Neil Fusco will be at Kings’ Cooking Studio in Short Hills, New Jersey from 3pm-6pm this Friday, September 28th. During his cooking show, Chef Neil will show customers how to cook several recipes with his Cucina Antica Cooking Sauces.
The Cooking Studio in Kings Food Market in Short Hills, New Jersey plays host to many special guest instructors and chefs, including Chef Neil Fusco, who will be a featured chef on Friday, September 28th. From 3pm to 6pm, Chef Neil will be using his Cucina Antica Cooking Sauces to show customers how to prepare household favorite recipes, such as Eggplant Parmigiana, Pasta alla Bolognese, and Salmon alla Vodka. Through demos like these, Chef Neil hopes to increase recognition of the Cucina Antica brand, but more importantly wishes to spread his love of food “as an inspirational approach in bringing family and friends together.”
Cucina Antica Foods Corp. is a family owned and operated company located in Westchester County, New York. For over 14 years, Cucina Antica Foods Corp. has provided families with all-natural, fresh sauces as well as organic dressings and ketchup, imported Italian pastas and extra virgin olive oil. Recently, Cucina Antica has introduced Tuscany Pumpkin Pasta Sauce to their all-natural line of cooking sauces. For more information, please visit www.cucina-antica.com.
For more information regarding this event, please visit www.kingsfoodmarkets.com.