As most of you know, Judy and I are confirmed chocoholics and any day is a perfect excuse to indulge in this addictive little confection! Chocolate is such a prestigious luxury often called “food of the gods”. Experts say that chocolate pampers the senses and dark chocolate is good for your heart. A small bar of it everyday can help keep your heart and cardiovascular system running well. Works for us!
The recipe below is a family favorite. It is rich and silky and perfect for any holiday. Enjoy!
Chocolate Truffle Cake
1 pound good quality semi-sweet chocolate* coarsely chopped
10 tablespoons salted butter
5 eggs, separated, room temperature
Sea salt for garnish
Chantilly cream, garnish
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Butter a 9 inch spring form pan. Set aside.
- Beat yolks and fold into cooled chocolate mixture.
- Beat whites to stiff peaks (do not over beat).
- Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into buttered pan and bake only 12 minutes. (cake will be loose).
- Cool completely in pan, sprinkle with sea salt for garnish, and then chill in refrigerator for a few hours.
- Just before serving, spoon whipped cream on cake.
*We have used a bittersweet chocolate and it worked just as well.
Delicately sweet, this whipped cream was a favorite of our Nana’s. Judy & I use it as much as we can! It is a perfect choice for any dessert.
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons confectionery sugar, sifted, more if needed
- Combine all and whip until stiff peaks form, taste and add more vanilla or sugar to your liking.
Twice Baked Twins
Judy Vig and Joy Paoletti
Contact The Twice Baked Twins: